Unit 04 Population Growth and its Impact On Environment”
A. Answer the following questions.
Q1. Why is there no single and easy solution to the problem of population growth and its impact on the environment?
Ans: There is no single and easy solution to the problem of population growth and its impact on the environment because this problem is very complicated. To solve this problem all options should be utilized including awareness campaigns, re-assessment of consumption patterns, recycling of waste, and less use of resources.
Q2: How is the carrying capacity of the earth affected?
Ans: The carrying capacity of the earth is affected by overpopulation. Earth has a carrying capacity of 500 million to one trillion humans, but it has limited resources so, it is not able to support such a large number of people.
Q3: Why does population growth directly affect the environment?
Ans: Population growth has a direct impact on the environment. An increase in population means an increase in the consumption of resources and the production of more waste materials, water, and air pollution.
Note: Q4,5 and 6, have been skipped.
B. Choose the correct option.
- (a) Enormous
- (a) Fact
- (a) Released
- (b) The maximum population size of the species that the environment can sustain
- (c) Poor, developing, and advanced nations.
KPK Grade 10 English Notes 2021
english notes for class 10 kpk board
Why is there no single and easy solution to the problem of population growth and its impact on the environment?
There is no single and easy solution to the problem of population growth and its impact on the environment because it is not as simple as we have considered it. A number of factors need to be assessed in order to solve the problems of our world and thus make it a better place to live. Everyone, meaning every individual, every country must come forward and join hands together to get rid of the problem of population growth.
How is the carrying capacity of earth affected?
According to scientists, the carrying capacity of earth ranges from 500 million to more than one trillion. The carrying capacity of the earth is affected due to the rapid increase in world population. Increase in population has the direct impact on the environment and resources of the world. The more the population, the more the use of resources and thus the more the production of waste material.
Why does population growth directly affect the environment?
The population growth has a direct influence on the environment. Due to population growth, people are cutting trees and forests to have more space for residential and commercial purposes. Deforestation also creates an imbalance in the environment and thus decrease in habitat and biodiversity. Many animal and bird species are becoming extinct due to the drastic change in the environment. The increased population in urban areas causes various forms of pollution i.e. water, air, and land. With the increase in population, there is an increase in the production of waste material that is difficult to dispose of and thus causing severe damage to the world’s environment.
Analyse any passage of the text ‘Population Growth and its Impact on Environment’ that support an opinion.
1st passage of the text supports the opinion that if there is an increase in the world’s population at the same pace then people of the world have to various numerous environmental problems such as more consumption of resources like land, water, fossil fuels and there will be increase in the production of waste products and the environment become more and more polluted due to insensitive and harsh activities of the increased population. The health of the residents would suffer negatively and more pressure would be faced by the urban areas due to the migration of rural people.
Locate examples from the text ‘Population Growth and its Impact on Environment’ that support an opinion.
Following are the examples or statements from the text that support an opinion:u003cbru003e(1) It is estimated that world’s population will reach 9.2 billion by 2050.u003cbru003e(2) Deforestation can lead to severe imbalances in environment and result in decrease in habitat and biodiversity.u003cbru003e(3) According to the United Nations, FAO an estimated 18 million acres of forest are lost each year.u003cbru003e(4) If the currect rate of deforestation continues, it will take less than a 100 years to destroy all forests on the earth.u003cbru003e(5) By 2025 it will become double of its present production.
Keeping in view the population and the environment of your area, do you agree or not with the content of the lesson? Support your view with solid arguments.
Yes, I totally agree with the content of the lesson keeping in view the population and the environment of the area. When we moved to this area of the city some 10 years back, it seemed to be a deserted place with a few numbers of houses and much greenery. u003cbru003eu003cbru003eTrees and shrubs add to the beauty of the area. Due to a peaceful, clean and green environment, we enjoyed the company of different and beautiful species of birds and animals in the vicinity. As the population of the area was not much so we never faced the problem of garbage, traffic jam, sewage issues, scarcity of clean water. Comparing that state of my area to the present one, I myself is amazed to find the drastic contrast of various elements. Now, it is very difficult to locate a vacant space in my area. u003cbru003eu003cbru003eThe area is congested to such an extent that when you stand at the roof of your house you just see the sea of houses spread on a vast area with a few standing trees and little vegetation. Cutting of trees results in the decrease in the various species of birds and animals species. Apart from this, we can see garbage mounds almost at various points of the area. Due to rubbish and garbage, mosquitoes, flies and other insects are breathing in our environment and thus causing various diseases. Previously, it was not a tiresome activity to get clean, filtered water from the water filtration plant of the area. But now one has to stand in long queues to get a can or two of clean water. Furthermore, in the past, we can get clean water from the plant at any time of the day or night but now the society has fixed the hours for water collection. u003cbru003eu003cbru003eWhile traveling, people have to face the severe problem of traffic jam due to the increase in population and private vehicles. Now, people of the area prefer to travel by their own cars rather than utilizing the facility of public transport. Traffic congestion is at its peak during rush hours. Last but not least, due to the heavy and continuous flow of traffic, the condition of the roads and streets is deteriorating day by day.
Q.1) Write an essay of about 500 words on ” Causes and effects of the wild growth of urban population ” by keeping in mind the following steps:
- introductory paragraph with central thought
- provides key ideas that support central thought. Use a separate paragraph for each key idea.
- give evidence, examples or different point of view.
- use the transitional device to connect ideas within and between paragraphs.
- add a closing paragraph with a closing statement.
Decades back, the world offers a peaceful, pollution-free, tension-free and simple lifestyle to its inhabitants. As the time passes by, the people of this world witnessed a number of both positive and negative changes that cast direct or indirect effect on the economic, social and environmental scenario developed only by the very own hands of the mankind. The sociologists have divided man’s lifestyle into two major categories i.e. urban life and rural life.
People love to live in rural areas in 16 and 17th century later on with the birth of industrialization in the 18th century, more and more people were attracted to city life. In the beginning, the city life offers various benefits to its residents but due to the migration of people from rural areas to urban in bulk caused various problems for the city people.
Numerous causes can be held responsible for the wild growth of the urban population. The first and foremost is the factor of industrialization. With the development of industries and factories in cities, a huge number of people take the decision to move to cities to work and earn their livelihood by working under better conditions. People sold their lands and farms in villages, left their domestic homes and started their life in cities. Furthermore, the industrial revolution offers a vast spectrum of job opportunities to people thus, attracting them to city life.
Commercialization too plays its role in the growth of the urban population. The distribution of goods and services and commercial transactions in the modern era has developed modern marketing institutions and exchange methods that have tremendously given rise to the growth of towns and cities.
Urban life cast spell of its better opportunities, facilities, and social services on rural people and thus becomes a major source of growth in urban population. People are in a better position to enjoy various benefits at urban areas, for instance, better health facilities, quality education, better recreational activities, better sanitation, clean water, better transportation and communication systems, etc.
After listing the causes of the growth of urban population, one cannot ignore the serious effects that are faced by the people of cities due to the migration of rural people in great numbers. At the first place, there is a continued shortage of houses in cities. This is due to insufficient expansion space for housing and public utilities, poverty, unemployment, and costly building materials which can only be afforded by a few individuals.
Overcrowding is the factor that has a direct impact on the opportunities and facilities of the city life that it offers to its residents. Due to the migration from rural areas to urban, people have to live in small houses that cause congestion in living space.
Traffic problems are the outcome of the growth of the urban population. More and more people are moving to urban areas, most of them prefer to use private vehicles instead of public transport that’s why traffic jams are seen in almost every metropolitan city in the world.
Development of slums in urban vicinity is also due to the migration of people to cities. People who are unable to afford the living standards of the cities live in small houses in congested areas with poor or fewer facilities.
Next arises the question of the availability of clean water. As people increased in urban areas, scarcity of clean water becomes a major issue. Overcrowding also highly contributes to water scarcity as supply falls short of demand.
Due to high and expensive lifestyle at cities, it is not that much easy for the immigrants to afford all that at once. To enjoy the facilities, most of the youth involve themselves in various crimes such as robbery, theft, kidnapping, murder, etc to attain better and comfortable city lifestyle.
Apart from these, increased sanitation problems, poor health, and spread of diseases, lack of health care facilities, unemployment are few of the other effects of wild growth of urban population.
In order to cope up with this grave problem of overcrowding of cities and towns, the government must take necessary and immediate steps to stop the influx of immigrants to urban areas. It can only be done by providing better facilities of health, education, clean water, employment opportunities, better agricultural techniques to the people of rural areas so they can enjoy all these facilities while living in rural areas.
Q.1) Rewrite the following sentences using the tense indicated in the brackets.
(i) He will do his work with diligence. (Simple present)
(ii) I followed his instructions. (Simple future)
(iii) That will be interesting. (Present continuous)
(iv) I will not allow this to happen. (Simple past)
(v) He worked very hard. (Future continuous)
(vi) I will never raise any demand. (Present perfect)
(vii) He is crying at the top of his voice. (Past perfect)
(viii) We buy vegetables from the market. (Present perfect)
(i) He does his work with diligence.(ii) I will follow his instructions.(iii) That is interesting.(iv) I allowed this to happen.(v) He will be working very hard.(vi) I have never raised any demand.(vii) He had cried at the top of his voice.(viii) We have bought vegetables from the market.
Q.2) Fill in the correct form of the verb.
My friend, Hashim, has always been fat, but things______ (get) so bad recently that he decided to go on a diet. He_____ (begin) his diet a week ago. First of all, he _______(write) out a long list of all the foods which were forbidden. The list included most of the food he ________(love): butter, potatoes, rice, cold drink, chocolate, sweets and so on. Yesterday, I_______ (pay) him a visit. I___________ (ring) the bell and was not surprised to see Hashim as fat as ever. He ________(lead) me to his room and hurriedly_______ (hide) a large parcel under his desk. He was very embarrassed. When I________ (ask) him what he_________ (do), he ___________(smile) guiltily and then_______ (put) the parcel on the desk. He_________ (show) me the contents of the parcel. It contained five large bars of chocolate and three bags of sweets!
My friend, Hashim, has always been fat, but things get so bad recently that he decided to go on a diet. He began his diet a week ago. First of all, he wrote out a long list of all the foods which were forbidden. The list included most of the food he loves: butter, potatoes, rice, cold drink, chocolate, sweets and so on. Yesterday, I paid him a visit. I rang the bell and was not surprised to see Hashim as fat as ever. He led me to his room and hurriedly hid a large parcel under his desk. He was very embarrassed. When I asked him what he did, he smiled guiltily and then put the parcel on the desk. He showed me the contents of the parcel. It contained five large bars of chocolate and three bags of sweets!
Q.3) Present Perfect Continuous / Past Perfect Continuous
A. Choose the correct answer.
(1) I love this writer’s books. I have been reading/had been reading them for years.
(2) His clothes were dirty because he has been working/had been working in the garden.
(3) Where have you been? We had been waiting/have been waiting for you for ages.
(4) He hasn’t decided on a career yet, but he has been thinking/had been thinking about it lately.
(5) After she has been playing/had been playing the tennis for ten years. She joined the squash team.
(1) I love this writer’s books. I have been reading them for years.
(2) His clothes were dirty because he had been working in the garden.
(3) Where have you been? We have been waiting for you for ages.
(4) He hasn’t decided on a career yet, but he has been thinking about it lately.
(5) After she had been playing the tennis for ten years. She joined the squash team.
Q.4) Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verb in brackets. Use the Present Perfect Continuous or the Past Perfect Continuous.
(1) Nabeel has never had an accident and he____ (drive) for years.
(2) She had no idea it was so late because she _____(not / watch) the time.
(3) “_______ (you / take) your medicine regularly, Mrs. Sami?” “Yes, doctor.”
(4) They eventually found the dog after they _______(look) for it all night.
(5) How long ____ your father _________(work) for the company where he retired?
(1) Nabeel has never had an accident and he has been driving for years.
(2) She had no idea it was so late because she had not been watching the time.
(3) “Have you been taking your medicine regularly, Mrs. Sami?” “Yes, doctor.”
(4) They eventually found the dog after they had been looking for it all night.
(5) How long been your father had worked for the company where he retired?
Q.5) Complete the sentences with a suitable word or expression.
for By tomorrow so far the week before since
(1) Our T.V hasn’t been working__________ last week.
(2) The Khans invited us to dinner although we had only met ___________.
(3) They will have finished painting the house_______________.
(4) We had been writing _________nearly an hour when the bell rang.
(5) They have interviewed three suspects__________.
(1) Our T.V hasn’t been working since last week.
(2) The Khans invited us to dinner although we had only met the week before.
(3) They will have finished painting the house by tomorrow.
(4) We had been writing for nearly an hour when the bell rang.
(5) They have interviewed three suspects so far.
Q.6) Correct the errors in the following sentences.
(1) Jameela has lost weight. She had been dieting for months now.
(2) Everything was white when we woke up because it has been snowing all night.
(3) I was so happy when I received the gold medal. I has been working for years.
(4) The upcoming test is making me nervous. I had been preparing all evening.
(5) We have been writing since nearly an hour when the bell rang.
(1) Jameela has lost weight. She has been dieting for months now.
(2) Everything was white when we woke up because it had been snowing all night.
(3) I was so happy when I received the gold medal. I have been working for years.
(4) The upcoming test is making me nervous. I have been preparing all evening.
(5) We have been writing for nearly an hour when the bell rang.
Unit 04 Population Growth pdf
- Unit 1 Simplicity and Humility of Hazrat Muhammad (PBUH) Class 10 Notes
- UNIT 02 THE CHAMPIONS CLASS 10 ENGLISH NOTES
- UNIT 03 POEM DREAMS LANGSTON HUGHES
- UNIT 05 “THE GREAT MASJID OF CORDOBA & IQBAL” CLASS 10 NOTES
- UNIT 6 IN SPITE OF WAR ANGELA MORGAN ENGLISH NOTES CLASS 10
- UNIT 07 THE AGED MOTHER ENGLISH NOTES CLASS 10
- UNIT 08 WOMEN ROLE IN THE PAKISTAN MOVEMENT
- UNIT 09 POEM EQUIPMENT EDGAR GUEST
- UNIT 10 WATER SCARCITY IN PAKISTAN
- UNIT 11 GENETICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISMS (GMOs)
- Unit 04 Population Growth and its Impact On Environment”
- UNIT 12 THEY HAVE CUT DOWN THE PINES MARY LISLE
- UNIT 13 HAZRAT UMAR (RA) CLASS 10 ENGLISH NOTES
- UNIT 14 THE MODEL MILLIONAIRE CLASS 10 NOTES
- UNIT 15 POEM OPPORTUNITY WALTER MALONE
PARAPHRASES OF POEM Class 10 English Notes
- PARAPHRASES OF POEM DREAMS CLASS 10 ENGLISH NOTES
- PARAPHRASES OF POEM 2 IN SPITE OF WAR CLASS 10 ENGLISH NOTES
- PARAPHRASES OF POEMS 3 EQUIPMENT CLASS 10 ENGLISH NOTES
- PARAPHRASES OF POEM 4 THEY HAVE CUT DOWN THE PINES CLASS 10 ENGLISH NOTES
- PARAPHRASES OF POEM 5 OPPORTUNITY CLASS 10 ENGLISH NOTES
STANZA COMPREHENSION Class 10 English Notes
- STANZA COMPREHENSION POEM 1 dream LANGSTON HUGHES CLASS 10
- STANZA COMPREHENSION POEM 2 IN SPITE OF WAR CLASS 10
- STANZA COMPREHENSION POEM 3 EQUIPMENT EDGAR GUEST CLASS 10
- STANZA COMPREHENSION POEM 4 THEY HAVE CUT DOWN THE PINES MARY LISLE CLASS
- STANZA COMPREHENSION POEM 5 OPPORTUNITY WALTER MALONE CLASS 10